One of the most common things I hear writers express when I ask them what’s holding them back from reaching their goals, is a lack of community. There are so many talented writers, but it can get discouraging when you feel alone throughout the process. There is something special about writers that come together to support one another and help each other grow and reach their goals. This is why I started our online community at writevip.com. I saw the need for writers to have a support system while being held accountable for their writing projects. We have even set up different groups in represented states and countries so that our writers can meet face to face! In this blog post, I want to share with you the top 5 reasons why being connected to a community of writers is very important to you and your writing career.
- The Challenge – Don’t you want to become a better writer? I don’t know anyone who is content with staying at their current skill level. When you get around other writers, they will bring the best out of you. They will push you and challenge you to be better. As a result you will read more, learn more, write more, and grow!
- The Network – The bigger your network, the bigger your reach! Don’t you want to reach more people with your message? Being connected to a supportive network of other women writers will not online bring new genuine connections and friends into your life, but it is likely that they will support you or collaborate with you and in return, your readership will expand. This generally happens organically! You don’t have to force or manipulate it. Connect, open up, and support others and more often than not, they will reciprocate.
- The Accountability – We should all be held accountable for the goals we set and the things we say we are going to do. It is easier to give up when you have no one in your business, but when you have accountability partners, the pressure is on! It is good pressure. It is pressure that will press you right into your destiny. You could be one commitment away from becoming an award winning and world renown writer. Commit to it and stick with it!
- The Feedback – How can you grow if you don’t know what you’re doing right or wrong? I have my writer friends run things by me all the time! Whether I just skim through a rough draft of a blog post they’ve written or if I listen as they recite a spoken-word piece, I am able to love on them and help them grow by providing constructive criticism and vice versa! If you want to grow, you have to learn how to take a little criticism and improve on the areas that need work! Everyone has to go through that refining process. It’s apart of honing in on your craft!
- The Sisterhood – This doesn’t have much to do with writing, but it’s still very important. Being apart of a writing community or any community for that matter, is extremely healthy. This helps to develop communication skills, foster meaningful and life-long relationships, and more. No one wants to be alone, and you don’t have to! You can join our community today for FREE at writevip.com or attend one of our writers retreats featured on this website. We pretty much gain new best friends at every retreat!
I hope that this article reaffirmed the reason why community is so important to not only our careers as writers, but to our growth as individuals as well!