I get asked all the time from many writers, “how do I start a blog?” Well here it is! I want to help YOU FINALLY get out there and share your message. Here is a quick and straight forward run-down on how to get started.
- First, you’re going to want to think of what you want to call your blog. Then lock down the domain name and hosting account! I like to use Bluehost and their actually having a 50% OFF SALE right now! CLICK HERE to get started. There are also many self-hosting websites such as wix, weebly, squarespace, etc. But I believe you will spend more money paying them every month per website. If you are really a beginer, I would suggest either blogger.com which is free platform or a self-hosted site through wordpress after you have set up your account with bluehost or another reliable hosting company.
- You’re going to want to find a layout for your blog. This will make it easier for you so that you don’t have to build your website from scratch! Or if you’re using a web designer, it will also make it easier for them as well. I like to use Envato Themeforest for all my themes because they have wide range of options, literally thousands to choose from and their layouts are responsive (for mobile, tablet, etc.) and very professional. You can view the themes BY CLICKING HERE.
- You may also need a logo, promo video, or someone to write your professional bio. I love using fiverr because it it’s so affordable. You can literally find services on there for just $5!!! You’re welcome. LOL.
- Create an outline for your blog. What pages are you going to have on there? Some common ones are: contact, about, products/store, and then all the categories you will have. Type out your list of categories, potential blog posts, topics, etc!
- Now, most of the work is done! All you need to do is WRITE, WRITE, WRITE your blog posts and the content that will be on your individual pages.
- Prepare for your launch. Of course, you’re going to want to generate traffic to your site and get people to start following your blogging journey and engaging with you. I recommend creating a simple graphic, like a flyer to launch your blog! One website I like to use is canva.com. The design is easy to plug in and simple to download.
- You’re all set! To grow as a writer or for my in depth tips on blogging, consider signing up for one of my one-on-one coaching sessions HERE
Lastly, I have a super exciting announcement to make!
As you all know, from September 12th-15th ,The Writers Retreat will be hosting The Creatives Conference in Atlanta!
This conference is a time for you to pull away and work on your writing project and more! From listening in on dynamic speakers, to participating in our interactive workshops and connecting with other creatives from all around the world, this is an experience like none other! You will be inspired and challenged to cultivate the gifts that God has given you to share with the world. You do not want to miss this!
Here is the link: https://www.creativesconf.com/
Need a roommate? We are happy to help you with that! Email us at email@example.com to get paired with someone! Please be sure to list your contact information, the date you plan on securing a room, and the area that you will be traveling from.